Gladys Stephenson, Stantec Consulting Ltd.
Identified ideal characteristics of a soil conditioner and recommended testing with 4 candidate soil conditioners with preliminary testing indicated that peat was a good candidate conditioner.
Characteristics of an ideal soil conditioner:
• Inert and non-reactive with contaminants
• No negative effects on test organisms
• Provides balance between air and water
• Resistant to physical and microbial degradation
• Neutral impact on soil fertility
• Decreases bulk density of heavy clay soils
• Increases formation of aggregates
• Minimal affect on soil pH
• Free from pests, disease and weeds
• Affordable price
• Consistent quality and availability from reliable supplier
• Efficacy must persist for duration of test