Ian Mitchell, Millennium EMS Solutions Ltd.
A properly designed background metals and salinity database would provide a resource for determining appropriate background concentrations that reflect the soil type and geographic region of interest. This would better allow industry and consultants to determine whether metals/salinity concentrations above Tier 1 guidelines reflect natural conditions or contamination, and prevent unnecessary remediation of naturally occurring substances.
Inorganics (salinity, metals)
- Natural salt distribution,
- Fate and transport assessment
- Appropriate protection of various exposure pathways,
- SCARG criteria evaluation
- Risk-based soil quality guidelines for selected trace metals
- Knowledge on background concentrations of inorganics